Monday, August 18, 2014

The Struggle For Simplicity

**I must start this blog off with the fact that perhaps no one else in the world struggles with this :).  I am not pointing fingers or accusing anyone or any company of anything.  This is simply something I see in myself and have been coming up against recently.

With that said (and with a 2 year old sitting on my lap), I have watched myself struggle against the digital world and real-life engagement.  I find myself watching things happen and then taking a shot in my mind's eye and thinking about how I would post it on Facebook.  That leads me to wondering why I even want to.

You know.  Elden does something cute and I want to put it up.  I run a race, place and want to post a selfie.  Carmen is reading chapter books at 4 years old and I want to write a post.  I don't, mainly because I don't have the time, but this morning I thought, "Oh no.  The digital world has no idea how amazing we are!"  I read about the other moms' baking days, creating their own play dough (with essential oils), making their own yogurt (first milking the cow no less!), writing a book while caring for 5 children, etc. and I think what are people going to think of me????!!!  They know nothing!  They see old pictures!  I haven't posted in over a month!

"They" are going to wonder what I do with all my time.  "They" are going to wonder if my kids are being properly educated.  "They" are going to wonder if we ever leave the house, take vacations, visit with friends.  "They" are going to wonder if they should be supporting us. "They" are going to wonder if we are just...normal.

I find myself easily drawn into a world in cyberspace and missing out on the world that is happening around me. I actually have to stop myself and say, "It's ok that instead of working on posting pictures, you spend that time doing a puzzle with the kids."

Really it comes down to the fact that I have to be ok with just doing the puzzle, not showing everyone else that I did the puzzle.  I have to stop and realize that I need to drink in these moments because each one is gone in a breath.  And, God forbid, I miss that smile, that laugh, that look, that joke.  Too soon, these moments will be gone.  And I don't want to miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment