Friday, November 7, 2014

Contextualization


Working on "Gra Tongs" with some Thai friends
This was a hard one for me.  I have been hounded by something my oldest said to me in the car on the way home from hanging out with Thai friends.
Yesterday and today is a very popular Thai festival known as "Loy GraTong".  There are several things that happen on these 2 days.  One, pictured in the middle, is where you decorate a banana stump with beautiful flowers, leaves and plants.  Traditionally, this is then placed in a river to thank and honor the river for providing water for everyday purposes (drinking, washing, laundry, etc.).
Lighting a lantern with our neighbors
The second is the other 2 pictures.  You light a small piece on the bottom of this lantern and it acts like a hot air ballon.  It will begin to rise as it heats and is a way to honor the moon.  I am not sure why the two are connected (sorry, my language is not that good yet :)).
So, I took the kids to hangout with some friends and learn about their holiday.  We got a little history lesson and then got to make our own "GraTongs", while talking with our friends.
On the drive home, Turism said she felt so sad the whole time.  She felt torn in wanting to honor them as people with their own way of thinking but also wanting to interrupt their sharing to share about the Creator.  She didn't want them worshiping a created thing.  She wanted them going to the Source.
And that's where I was torn.  I wanted to celebrate with our Thai friends.  I wanted to be out in the street with our neighbors, laughing and enjoying their traditions.  I wanted to be a part of their lives.  But when does that cross over into not being different?  When do I look wishy washy?  When am I not standing firm in my convictions?  When is it fun and when is it serious?
I have no answers.  Thais were surprised and delighted that we came out to join the fun.  It made my heart glad.  So what I was left with was prayer.  Prayer for protection for my family.  Pray for my friends' and neighbors' hearts and our witness.
I am currently reading through the children's Bible in Thai with my house helper (a Buddhist) and my language teacher (also a Buddhist).  These 2 very dear friends are beginning to learn bits of my life.  They are learning where I stand.  And I pray God changes their hearts.  Would you pray with me?  Not only for these two but all the others we are coming to know and love.  I want Christ to be obvious through us.  I want Him known here, in this neighborhood, in this section of town, in this city, in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment